THE CHALLENGE

I am a pretty competitive person, so everything is about a challenge. If you plan on following my blog, I am praying that it won't be something that you just open and read but also apply so that God can change your heart!

I believe that God wants us all to take a look at our lives and live it at a higher level. He is calling us to know Him and see Him. Once we begin to do that, we can then show Him to others!


The world has placed a standard that screams for us to simply fit in. Well, I am rebelling against that standard and refusing to let it be the ruling power in my life! So with that said, I dare you...no I double dog dare you to do the same!

How tough are you really? Tough enough to surrender your life and hit your knees?

I guess we will see....

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hard Boiled Eggs

Hard Boiled Eggs

The other day I was making brownies with my youngest son. My friend taught me a new trick in making them better. I now put 2 boxes together for a really thick brownie with a crusty outside and a chewy middle….soooo good! With using 2 boxes, it causes me to use double the ingredients also. This particular day I needed 4 eggs. Eggs are something that you just assume you have enough of and never really check. This day was no exception, with confidence, I opened both packages without knowing if there were enough or not. There weren't. I had 3, not 4. While I was contemplating what I should do, my son, remembering that he had seen a container of eggs in the fridge, decided to check again for me. Sure enough, he had found several more eggs. I could tell that he was excited to be able to show me his find. There was just one problem with the eggs he found; they were hard boiled. Even after I explained to him that they were not the right kind, he was still wearing a very confused expression on his face. They looked the same. They came in the same container. To his little mind, there was no difference.

But what a difference there was! This is when God starting opening my eyes to the lesson He wanted me to learn through this brownie making experience.

From the outside, a heart is a heart. There are not many differences if you are just looking at them. But to God, who knows better, there are day and night differences.

Just like those brownies, God needs specific ingredients to make His missions the way He wants them. He knows the outcome the He wants and He won't settle for any substitutes.

I think that at times, we feel that we are the right person for the job. We really want to be used and we really know that we can get it done right for God. Then we are confused when it seems that He has chosen someone else for the "assignment". Why not me? I have asked myself this question many times.

The problem with that question is that we are asking in the wrong way. Most times, I think that it comes out a little huffy. We feel that we were overlooked. We feel shorted. We feel that we need to make ourselves known. We want to make sure that God knows that He overlooked something pretty good. Instead, we need to take the attitude of humbleness. Instead of being arrogant, we need to ask "why not me?" in a way that makes it about wanting to really know what needs to be changed. Why He didn't feel my heart was ready.

Psalms 139:23 " Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts."


 

We have to be able to go to God and ask Him this verse and be fully prepared to hear His answer. If we don't want to hear the answer and don't want to change what He says to change, then we are in some serious danger. Our hearts won't change appearance all that much. But instead of being able to be the right form to be used, we will become like a hardboiled egg. We will be passed up when the time comes to get the mission done. We will not be able to be used. Is it worth it to you? I think it is time for all of us to have a heart checkup. Find out what category of egg that you fall into! If you find yourself a little bit on the hard boiled side and want a change, ask God to change you around! Be ready though! When He is done with you, you might just feel like a pile of scrambled eggs! But don't fear…God will get you to where He wants you to be. Useable. Useable if you are willing. If you can get there, I can guarantee you that God will want to use you somewhere! You won't be overlooked to get a job done! You won't sit in the fridge useless while there are brownies to be made! You will be chosen! Be ready!


 

1 comment:

  1. Great analogy with the hard boiled egg! I have certainly learned a lot about my heart and the heart God wants me to have during our class with Mitch. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and encouraging words. I look forward to following your devotional blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails