THE CHALLENGE

I am a pretty competitive person, so everything is about a challenge. If you plan on following my blog, I am praying that it won't be something that you just open and read but also apply so that God can change your heart!

I believe that God wants us all to take a look at our lives and live it at a higher level. He is calling us to know Him and see Him. Once we begin to do that, we can then show Him to others!


The world has placed a standard that screams for us to simply fit in. Well, I am rebelling against that standard and refusing to let it be the ruling power in my life! So with that said, I dare you...no I double dog dare you to do the same!

How tough are you really? Tough enough to surrender your life and hit your knees?

I guess we will see....

Monday, June 28, 2010

Follow the Leader

Follow the Leader

Do you find yourself in the leader role, or do you claim boldly to be a great follower? Some people are more than content to stay behind someone the whole time, while others push to the front just to be the 1st in line. If you are someone that leads often, you probably know that that is your gift. If you are a follower, you probably don't covet that gift at all. But what I discovered this past week is that "followers" may have a little surprise coming their way. After reading this devotion, I wonder how many people will realize that they have actually had a completely different role than they ever expected.

Last week I found myself in a car line. I was about 3rd or 4th back with a couple more people behind me. We were all going to a county home to help with a service project. Although this place has been open for years, I, along with many of the other parents had never heard of it, let alone been there (which is sad in itself). We all pulled out of the church at the same time and started on down the road in one big line. Once we got to a pretty busy road, I realized that we were going to get separated a bit. While we all took our own turning waiting for a break in traffic, there would always end up being 1 or 2 cars in between us. We were on a straight piece of road, so the big van in the lead was still pretty visible. I realized that there might be a problem when we started hitting the curves. All of the sudden we came to an area where cars were turning off really quickly. I, all of the sudden had a little panic moment when I had no clue who I was supposed to be following. I couldn't see the van anymore! It was nowhere to be seen. What I had to concentrate on, was the person right in front of me.

What I realized was the person behind me was doing the same exact thing to me.

So in essence, I was no longer just a follower…but also a leader! Annnnnnd…who I followed determined whether the people behind me got lost or not.

So now…do you still think of yourself as just a follower?

So many of us don't want the responsibility of being in charge or leading the way. But the reality is that someone somewhere is watching us and our actions, and we end up leading anyhow.

So now the question becomes, who are you following? I wonder if you follow every diet that is out there…or maybe you follow the road to the liquor store, how about drugs…unhealthy relationships…selfish desires…money…bitterness..pride (do I need to go on)? We all have something that is screaming for us to take a wrong turn! STOP!!! Put on your breaks right now and just focus for one second! Take a good hard look in your rearview mirror and see who is behind you. Their eyes are glued to your every action! They soak up every word that you say! You may be their only link to finding the right way to their destination. Do you really want to be the one to lead them astray?

I found this verse that is so convicting! It is spoken with such confidence and boldness. I wonder how many of us would have the guts to declare it to everyone we know…

1 Corinthians 11:1

"Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ."

Even if you don't find yourself as the leader of the pack, know without a doubt that you are leading someone somewhere. Take some time before you take off in the morning to make sure that you are first off following the right person (JESUS!!!) and secondly make sure the people behind you know it!

God is so awesome and Jesus is so much fun to follow! If you want to get lost and wonder around with that horrible feeling in your stomach that just screams that something is wrong, then that's your choice! But I would much rather follow Jesus and let Him take me wherever He wants with the promise of never getting lost!

So are you ready to say it? Are you ready to tell people that you are no longer just a follower but instead a leader who is empowered by God's Spirit? Go ahead…shout it out the window! But please please please….line yourself up with the right person first…don't let any distraction confuse you into taking the wrong turn! Set your sights on Jesus and then bring someone else along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails