THE CHALLENGE

I am a pretty competitive person, so everything is about a challenge. If you plan on following my blog, I am praying that it won't be something that you just open and read but also apply so that God can change your heart!

I believe that God wants us all to take a look at our lives and live it at a higher level. He is calling us to know Him and see Him. Once we begin to do that, we can then show Him to others!


The world has placed a standard that screams for us to simply fit in. Well, I am rebelling against that standard and refusing to let it be the ruling power in my life! So with that said, I dare you...no I double dog dare you to do the same!

How tough are you really? Tough enough to surrender your life and hit your knees?

I guess we will see....

Monday, July 15, 2013

Lauri's perspective change that only God could do!

One of the most encouraging people in my life is Lauri Carnahan.  She has stood by me and prayed for me when the pits seemed to want to swallow me.  She has encouraged me like crazy to keep going when ministry was so hard and exhausting.  Her and Dave have always supported Rebel with either sending their kids, themselves or their prayers.  I have taken several trips with her and hope to take so many more as God has taken us on quite a crazy road these past couple of years~! I love doing ministry with her and can't wait to see what God has in store for the years to come!

Lauri Carnahan:
 
My Uganda reflection takes me back to last July as John DeLine and I were discussing the materials I could use in my girl’s ninth grade Bible class. His wife Kathy, along with his daughter and grandson, had been to New Hope in Uganda that summer, and Kathy had a new passion to help the people of Uganda. She had also read the book, Kisses From Katie, an autobiography about how God used a young girl to change several villages near Jinja because she said YES to His work there for her. My daughter had also read and loved that book, so I thought it was a great idea to read it with the girls in my class.

Meanwhile, God was working on my heart. He continued to move me toward His plan for me involving evangelism, and I signed up for a class called Perspectives that was being held at my church. The purpose of Perspectives is to help the students see God’s mandate for the world to know Him and to glorify His name. Right now, there are still 3 billion people who have not heard the Gospel! Every day, 156,000 people die without Christ! God has called all Christians to evangelize the world, and Perspectives class gives students some tools and resources to be a part of His work for the world. “Evangelism is not an optional accessory to our life. It is the heartbeat of all that we are called to be and do. It is the commission of the Church which gives meaning to all else that is undertaken in the Name of Christ.” (from “The Master’s Plan” in Perspectives on the World Christian Movement text, p. 125)

Right after my Bible students returned to school following Christmas break, I had an assignment for them. Reading an article about the book, My One Word, I decided to have the girls choose just one word, along with a scripture passage, to be their focus for the year. As an example, I chose mine and shared it with them. My word was Perspective. Not only did I choose that word because of the class I had starting attending, but I also wanted to see the world more like Christ sees. I chose the verse: “Come and see what God has done, his awesome deeds for mankind!"  from Psalm 66:5. In choosing this word, I never expected to see all His amazing works that I have experienced!

Following the “My One Word” assignment, the girls and I began to read Kisses From Katie together in class. After reading, the girls were assigned reflection homework on each chapter. The more we read, the more I looked forward to reading their reflections. I couldn’t believe the way God was using this book to change their hearts! Soon, the questions began: “Mrs. Carnahan, do you think we could go to Uganda and help Katie?” “Could we go to Uganda on a mission trip?” At first, I downplayed the questions as spontaneous girls with nice dreams. However, the girls became more adamant with their suggestion, and I began to get emails saying, “Mrs. Carnahan, I really feel that God is asking us to pray about going to Uganda.” So, we started praying, setting aside lunchtime on Wednesdays, sometimes fasting.

I told several friends, including Lindsey Cowart and Tina Gerke, about the idea, and they joined us in praying as well as opening doors to see if we could work with Katie Davis’s ministry in Uganda. One day, Lindsey was talking with a friend from Georgia whose sister started a ministry in Jinja, Uganda, called Kupendwa. Their ministry had just sent out a newsletter with a huge front-page caption, “Servants Needed!” Just as the door had closed to work with Katie (she doesn’t take short-term mission groups), another door had opened. We were so blessed to be the answer to the prayers of Kupendwa Ministries! Our destination was finalized, and the work to raise the enormous funding of the trip began.
 
Another interesting God-thing was that JT King and I both happened to be in the same Perspectives class. I had mentioned to Lee Houtz, my worship pastor, that my Bible class and I were going to go to Uganda, and he told me that JT, his brother-in-law, had been there several times. Wanting more information and knowing that God had just directed me to a great source, I approached JT one night at class. He was so excited about Uganda and couldn’t wait to tell me more or help me share information with the freshmen girls’ parents. I praise God for giving us JT’s knowledge, prayer support, passion and friendship. He was such a huge asset to our group!

Gabrielle soon designed a beautiful shirt for our team. The back of the shirt really encapsulated our team’s motto, one that we had gleaned from Katie Davis: “God is making the impossible possible.” We would never have believed that God would bless us in the way that He has, helping us raise the needed funds to go to Uganda. In addition, we had people volunteer to make pillowcase dresses, crochet washcloths and baby blankets, gather supplies from the hospital, and give us time to share and pray for us. What a supportive and encouraging group we have in the body of Christ!

Arriving in Uganda was so exciting! I knew that God had chosen to send us, and I couldn’t wait to see what He would have us do, who we would meet, and how we would serve. We were able to develop relationships with the girls and their babies at the maternity home, tutor them and help with chores, have worship and devotions with them, teach in a primary school, talk and pray with ladies in the hospital and in home visits, be excited with children at kid’s clubs, encourage a congregation in an island church, repair a mud hut for an elderly woman, “dig” out the weeds in a woman’s garden, and paint and plaster a home of a woman caring for an invalid child. Our team incredibly was able to lead 23 people to Christ!

The one story that impacted me the most was a home visit to the woman that I sponsored through Kupendwa back in February. Her name is Nora, and she now has 3 children. Her husband is often gone as he looks for work, so she is alone to care for her family with very little money. Her home is in the slum village called Railways where she lives in a concrete compound about 8 x 10 with no windows. Nora is a believer, and she explained to us how often she prays and how much she loves God. She prayed to God to heal her baby because Nora could not afford to take her to the hospital. God healed her! When she has no money for food for her children, she prays. She told us, “If I eat, I glorify God. If I don’t eat, I glorify God.” What an amazing lesson in faith, gratitude and love for her Savior!

The relationships we built there will always be a part of my heart. In saying yes to God regarding serving in Uganda, God has changed my perspective! He has helped me to see the world, and it’s need for Him, in a way that I had never seen before. He has blessed me with more love, more compassion, and more passion for Him and for His people. I am excited to see what He has next for me and for the rest of our team. We were all changed...we will never see Him the same again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails